Thursday, March 16, 2006

[Friendship]

Having lots of time alone, and not having the internet as a distraction, gives u time to think about things that you would otherwise never really ponder about. I was on the way home today when I started thinking about friendship. Friendship is intricate, and a blessing. I just came back from meeting Jurgita and Abela today. My fellow GAME friends. It was just a few months ago when we met up in sg for our first coursework. And now that we're in Sweden, these two wonderful women are showing us warm hospitality. We were having some sinful indulgence after school (dessert and smoothie at a nearby cafe) and although I haven't talked to Abela for months (she's not in GAME anymore) we were talking about everything under the sun. And I mean everything - even things that were going on under the bed sheets...haha. And Jurgita, well, what can I say.. she's been looking after us since the day we came, with bed sheets, comforters, extra pillows and all. She was the only one among our Swedish colleagues that organized a little dinner gathering among our group.

I started to think about how when I first met GH, I thought that she was so quiet, why wasn't she talking to me, did we have nothing in common to talk about. And now that we're here seeing places together, cooking meals for each other, just hanging out at each other's rooms when we're devoid of other forms of entertainment at night...we're so close...it's just...intriguing. She even wishes I could go to Ohio with her for a summer course in epi so that we can travel around tog...dang...too bad boss ain't sending me! Then I thought about AL, our dept secretary, whom I thought I was gonna meet only when I needed help with admin stuff. Now, we're having lunch together almost everyday, back in NUS that is.

And then I was thinking how one of my friends cheered me up in an instant when I told her I was feeling down. The best part is that I only got to know her online after coming here, and in a matter of a couple of weeks, she bothers to call me up in my hostel late at night to perk me up. I don't usually do well in phone conversations, but the instant I picked up the phone, I was like... wow this girl is cool. I was smiling in no time. She could guess exactly how I was feeling and like with Abela, we talked about almost everything under sun. And all this within just two weeks of knowing her. Two weeks of msn. Two weeks of just "hi how are you, I'm from sg, etc". I was really touched that she did that for me. Sweet girl. Too bad she lives in another town in Sweden, or I would definitely go meet her. She's coming to sg tho, this summer, so I'm looking forward to meeting her. She said she'd treat me to coffee (since I'm not gonna tarnish her reputation of telling ppl she's err...ok I'm not supposed to say...lol) and I was like...man, I'm the one who owes her two coffees. So for now, our date is at coffee bean, coffee and cheesecake in June ;).

No comments: