Monday, January 22, 2007

[The rain in spain stays mainly in the plain]

The rain in spain stays mainly in the plain.
In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire... Hurricanes hardly happen.


Trivia for today: If you're not sure of what to talk about, bring up the weather. haha. I caught My Fair Lady with my sis last Wed. I was so frenzied cos I had to drive home after work since dad needed the car...and when I reached home 15 mins later than planned, I found sakura still sleeping! Arghh. By the time we reached City Hall, we didn't have time for dinner so I had a miserable polar puff pastry and she a sandwich from 7-11. Not so bad lah, at least we managed to smuggle in our green tea instead of buying the $5 juices they sell at the theatre. I always get thirsty in an air-con room.

The musical was entertaining...and the dialogue was perfect...funny and upper-classy...and of course, in an accent I love. The costumes were pretty too...but too bad I was in circle 2 so I couldn't admire the actors more closely (sis said there was a handsome guy in a cap, according to her friend, who was worth ogling at haha). The play was about an unrefined, cockney flower girl turning into a lady presentable enough for high society. A wager taken on by a misogynistic and snobbish phonetics professor, Henry Higgins. But when Higgins takes all the credit and forgets to acknowledge her efforts, Eliza angrily leaves him for Freddy, and suddenly Higgins realizes he's grown accustomed to her face and can't really live without it. Higgins was quite an arse in the way he treated Eliza; no wonder Mrs Higgins asked Eliza how she'd managed to learn manners with him around. It was probably Mr Pickering (an ambiguously gay character) that helped her in the transition - he was a gentleman indeed.

We were both quite disappointed with the transition of Eliza Doolittle into a "dutchess". It was so swift and they only kept making Eliza repeat the lines above until she could say it in refined English. And ta-da...one fine day she could say it perfectly n then she suddenly had all the manners of a dutchess. Sakura n I tot it wld've been better to show her "training" to become a lady with fine manners. Learning to walk while balancing books on her head or learning not to snort. Then we decided we probably wanted it that way cos we've been watching too much of Princess Diaries haha. Just shows how much Hollywood ideas have been engrained into us!

The songs were not that catchy though (none rang in my head), and certain parts were slightly draggy. And coupled with the fact that we were pretty tired (no more weekday shows for me), both of us were struggling to stay awake. We had a gruesome long wait for the bus after the show. We wanted to go to Marina Square for a more filling dinner but all the restaurants there were closed..even Mac's..dang (I thought they were all open 24 hours??). Then as we walked back to the bus stop, 106 just left so we had to wait for another 20 mins before the next one came. I was already famished and Sakura really tired and anxious about her Econs test the next day (what timing!) that by the time we got to Clementi, we just grabbed some food and took a cab home. I'd like to watch the movie some time though, when I'm not so sleepy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.