Wednesday, January 25, 2006

[Of race and religion]

Before I start...some definitions:

race: A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.

religion: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

Unfortunately, some people seem to confuse the both. For the upteenth time, someone asked me about my race today. And after some pondering, a couple of hours later, she came back to me and asked why I was wearing a tudung if my dad was indian and mum eurasian. I wasn't surprised actually. In fact, she was being very apologetic cos of the "confusion" but I was like..it's ok..I get that qs a lot. I think they need to improve on social studies lessons in school so ppl get the simple difference. Hmmm.

No comments: