Friday, January 13, 2006

[Disillusioned]

Just came back from my biostats re-exam today. Feeling disillusioned by the GAME programme more than ever. First of all, I don't think I deserved the horrible grade that big boss gave me. With a "very good" during the test and answering most of the questions correctly, I definitely didn't deserve such a crappy grade. Then today Feng told me that the re-exam marks won't be counted and I'm like wtf. Why did I take it then?? To show him that we have the basic concepts right it seems. What a whole load of shit. If this were in KI, I'm sure the re-exam wld've been taken into account. Was bitching with Feng abt the prog..apparently one guy dropped out cos he was disillusioned way before. And (a close, reliable source told us) our tester apparently judged us even before sitting down to present our answers. "Yeah this one has the potential..this one doesn't". What the hell. All his personal invites and docs made it (even one of them who was struggling with biostats did well cos he "has been working with molecular bio for some time now". hello..it's biostats..nothing to do with that!) It seems that my 2 A's in another 2 modules played no weight at all. Sigh.

I think the first exam was really terrible. Judging a whole module based on one stupid question. It didn't help that the exam was a day after Hari Raya Puasa which meant less mugging. Even my Swedish friend thought it was pretty unfair and that they should cater for minorities. Oh well, this is Singapore. The molecular bio exam was just as crappy; imagine being assessed on the entire module with just ONE presentation. Some of us had 1, some had 2, some had 3 examiners cos they kept going in and out of the lecture theatre. And Mr S kept asking questions only related to his field. In the end, they even asked us for our slides so that they could grade us. Really really unfair. There should be a less subjective way of assessing us. Sigh. Guess the only way is to get into the examiners' good books.

Or I suppose the other way is to do really well for the next coursework and prove to big boss that I deserve to be in the programme. If things don't go as planned...well..as much as I had to say it, I might drop out as well. Let's see what God has in store for me.

On a better note, now that I'm on the way to becoming a full time staff, my trip to Sweden will be paid for. And yeah, I'll be leaving on the 10th of Feb, but I'll only be away for 2 mths. Will be taking the last week of March off to do a bit of travelling in London/Cambridge. Hee. Looking forward to that!

Alright, my stomach's growling. It's lunch time. Gotta go!

No comments: