Sunday, July 01, 2007

[chocolate cake with frosting anyone?]

Was trying out my culinary skills today. First I tried out "Ayam Masak Lemak" (err..chicken cooked in coconut)...my fave dish mum used to make for us. Now that dad and I (and occasionally sis) have taken over the kitchen, we haven't had much variety in our dishes tsk tsk. So for a break from monotony I decided to try this out, from the vague idea that I had about the recipe (plus a little help from the Internet heh).


Verdict: Dish was perfect, or should I humbly say almost? Haha. Well, it tasted pretty good, tho I must've put in too many chillis cos it wasn't as yellow as it was supposed to be, so I added in a bit more tumeric. The stir fried french beans went well with the dish. Everyone enjoyed it. So that's a job well done. Yay!


For desert, I baked a chocolate cake. Was a bit of a cheat cos it was a prepared mix, but hey, it still needed effort. Lol. First I had to rummage thru the store room to find the cake mixer, which was missing the whisks. Found one in the end but I don't think they were the right one. By the time I was done struggling with the cake mixer , my wrists were crying for a rest (imagine this: whisking at medium speed while hanging on willfully to the whisk so that it doesn't ricochet away into the kitchen cabinets that my sis n I have just cleaned up very thoroughly after cooking). Then in the midst of doing who knows what, I managed to burn my hand on the hot toaster oven, which I never seem to avoid everytime I use it...I think I'm jinxed. Luckily it wasn't that bad so my hand wasn't scarrred. Phew. Then just as I was about to rejoice that my cake was almost done, I checked the oven and found that the cake was erupting from one side, almost like a volcano. I guess the mix was too much for the (biggest) cake pan I had..so yeah..."molten" chocolate started to ooze out and sis and I ingeniously poured the excess out into a bowl, and baked a tiny (and I mean tiny!) little cake in the microwave, which was our "sample". Lol. What an adventure eh? Just for a piece of cake (no pun intended). The choc frosting was a bit watery, but tasted great anyway. Anyone wanna come over for dessert? ;)




P.S. I don't think the cake will survive for long at the rate dad is eating it. Lol.

Oh yeah, and I think I should admit that I decided to be so enterprising in the kitchen today of all days so that I could get away from having to complete my article which I'm supposed to submit to prof this wk. Tsk tsk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I would love to try the cake.. haha.. I love baking too.. Call me the next time you bake.. My speciality: choc brownies (follow the recipe from the Herseys's choc bar).. lol..

princesssaf said...

heh i used to make those brownies too...but branching out now ;)