Wednesday, July 11, 2007

[4th of July]

To the Americans reading this (tho I doubt there are), happy 4th of July.

Dad brought us for 4th of July celebrations at his workplace. It was pretty fun - music, food, the company, seeing the kids play, more food, drinks, fireworks. We didn't know it was a picnic, so when we arrived, we were like..darn..how are we gonna sit on the grass. So we walked around eating our kebab (there was Halal food..impressive!) and gulping down our root beer. Sakura and I saw an Indian family getting some of those black garbage bags. So when Dad came back, we "dared" him (or more like spare us the embarrassment) of asking the Bangla workers if we could take one too. We even told him to ask them and not the Chinese guys cos Indian-Indian will give chance lol. Not cos racist lah.

The ceremony was short, and maybe sweet...I wasn't paying attention to the speeches. I did however cringe because I was chagrinned at the Singaporean's behaviour when our national anthem was played. There was hardly any voices to be heard although there were plenty of us. The Americans on the other hand glorified their Star Spangled Banner by placing their hand on their chest and mouthing (if not singing) the words. When I went back to our picnic ground, dad even told me that the two Singaporean ladies next to us were happily lying down on their mats with their legs up in the air (demonstrating aerobics as I overheard from their conversation) throughout Majulah Singapura. Talk about patriotism, much more undignifying behaviour. At least I did my part, although I stole a few snaps during the anthem. Where did our NE lessons go?

Anyway, the fireworks were pretty amazing even though it was a small scale event. It was kinda scary too - it was so close that it was extremely loud. Even scarier was the fact that the "remnants" of the fireworks dropped on us. At first I was wondering why the poor kid next to us was wailing so loudly. I thought perhaps it was because of the loud sound. Then when the hot piece of paper (?) dropped on my arm, I was like OUCH. Even my sis was scared. I told her not to worry and then continued snapping more pics. I can never get tired of snapping shots of fireworks. They're just beautiful and extraodinary. I think the fun music helped too. Maybe we should come up with "Surfin' Singapura" lol.


No comments: