Tuesday, June 26, 2007

[my non-existent core muscles]

Finally tried out Pilates. Signed up for weekly classes at Clementi Sports Hall. I thought the class was gonna be full of aunties...but actually, there was only 1. Haha. And she was a happening auntie..so yeah...10 beautiful young ladies doing Pilates.

First lesson of the day (self taught): Never eat before exercise.
I was hungry, or rather, bored because I was 45 mins early for the class (why do the buses seem to cooperate when u have ample time, and never appear when u're running late?). To kill time I went to KFC wanting to eat something light - like popcorn chicken. Since I bought the meal, I thought I'd pack the sidedish (mash potatoes) home (recall: LIGHT food). Somehow the waiter mumbled something and I blindly nodded and before I knew it my meal was upsized to cheese fries. So there I was reading Robin Cook's "Shock" and before I knew it, my cheese fries, which I usually NEVER finish, was 3/4 gone. And boy was I full. Needless to say, during the session, especially when we had to do "child position" and others which required us to lie on our tummy, I was like....nooooooo why did I eat? Well, lesson learnt. I'll stick to just reading next time I'm bored - minus the food. Thank God I didn't puke.

Second lesson: Pilates is not easy
I think the (basic) Yoga classes that I attended were much easier (then again, maybe it's because I never progressed to Level 2). The instructor seemed to want to get a "yes" out of me when she asked if anyone had any back problems. I didn't nod at first but after her long lecture about how those with back problems have to be extra careful, she looked at me again, so I said yes. Do I look like I've a back problem? Either that or she has inbuilt back problem detector radar. Lol. She asked me to lie on double mats and paid me extra attention during the workout. Good for me. Yay.

Third lesson (something I erm...already know): My core muscles are non-existent/pathetic
By the time we got to crunching our abs and raising our legs up 45 degrees, my muscles were trembling and I was wobbling. I guess that's why I need the lessons. I can do it! (with a lot of patience and perseverence...)

Fourth lesson: Damn, the pros make it look so freakin' easy when it's not
Bleah.

No comments: