Monday, May 15, 2006

[tHiS iS tHe LiFe}

I had an extremely relaxing long weekend. I was looking forward to a few days enjoying the sun, sand and sea at Batam. But on Tues the resort we were supposed to go to called up to say that they were shut down because of an emergency. I was quite disappointed and thought it was a sign that we should cancel the trip. But I was glad mum n Flo nudged me to go on, since we already had our ferry tix.

So instead of lots of sand, we stayed at Novotel near the city centre, where we couldn't see any sea view despite the description of the room on the website. It was relaxing indeed, we spent most of the time in our rooms - sleeping, watching tv, and err eating (not forgetting room service!). Flo wasn't up to going for water activities, which was a disappointment cos I really wanted to jet ski ever since going to Pattaya. But we settled for shopping instead and it was very therapeutic. Especially when things were so cheap, sandals for $3, t-shirts for $5, manicure and pedicure for $5 and $6 respectively (tho I think it was really minimal...just a foot soak, some brushing, nail trimming and no varnish finish), and our bombastic KFC meal which only cost $12. We had a very friendly limo driver, Henki, who despite his sputtering English, gave us an entertaining drive around town. He concluded that Flo was a tomboy and I was hitam-manis i.e. black sweet...err...a term to describe someone who is err..dark but pretty. I was quite taken aback at his assesment since I'm not that dark, but then again, he called me cantik (pretty) so I didn't mind haha. When we checked out, our bill came up to 2 million rupiah. Sounds a lot, haha, but actually it was only around $400, including the room charges and the limo service. We were so tired from that afternoon's shopping (and we slept at odd hours the night before) that we slept on the ferry ride home.

I took the day off and here I am blogging. I went to the dentist today to get my teeth cleaned and to my horror, the dentist said I needed many fillings (I always prided in myself that I only have one filling so far so I guess I broke an unwanted record). I'd better brush my teeth more often now, especially my problematic wisdom teeth which are so far back that I can't even see them. I had more retail therapy as I stopped by a couple of shops on my way back from the dentist. Bought a couple of sandals and a bag from Shop-In...dangerous how it is when things are so cheap u just keep adding them into your shopping cart. I really should spend the rest of the day tidying up my room. Then again, I think I shall get back to my bumming around now...perhaps watch a movie or two. Ah I wish this could last longer, and that I don't have to go to work tmr!

1 comment:

chat-moyen said...

you went batam? wah... you travel to more places even if it's just over the weekend than i have in the last ten years!


and i have stuff to ask you... over msn...