Saturday, May 05, 2007

[ugly people]

Witnessed some really terrible behaviour yest. On the way home from Chinatown, we noticed that all the entry gates at the NEL station had a cross. We thought maybe something was wrong with the barriers..then turned out that every single one of them had a red cross. Then awhile later..the station control with a very kan-chiong officer announced that we were not supposed to go down and shuttle buses would be provided to Harbour Front and Dhoby Ghaut instead. Since we had a lot of stuff to lug, we decided to take a cab home. It was a horrible wait..probably almost an hour. Taxis weren't coming, and the only ones that came were on call. So there we were...hot and stuffy..outside OG waiting patiently for a taxi (taxi lines were jammed up as well). Then we saw one guy trying to cut queue and stand on the road to flag for a taxi. Irritatingly, he got into a cab before anyone could stop him. Later on, these two men (prob from India) happily stood with their luggage bag at the roadside and tried to flag down the first taxi that came. This garang auntie..it was her turn...so she squeezed her way into the cab..and told the guy off. It was quite irritating really..I'm sure they could see the ever extending queue so it really didn't make sense that they didn't see a need to queue. The next guy behind the garang lady went up to the men and had a little argument with them too. At first, Flo thought it was bcos he wanted to tell the men off for shouting at the woman, but I told her I think it was more like he was telling them off cos he didn't want them cutting his queue, knowing how selfish ppl can get. There was this poor mum in front of us who was struggling with her cranky and crying 2 yr old...I bet in any other more gracious society, ppl wld have let her get ahead of the queue. Argh. A lot of other things pissed me, like how some ppl waited indiscriminately in between lanes in their cars for their friends/family to board and how some taxi drivers leisurely stopped their taxis at any place of fancy without bothering to check the traffic behind them. Grrr.

After being hot n sweaty for almost n hour and seeing the taxi situation not improving, we tried calling for a taxi but had to wait very long still. When we finally got through, a row of 4 cabs came...Flo scolded me for making her call and then hang up the phone. But I was like..hey..it's our right. Plus $4 cheaper. Haha.

Anyway, I didn't really get what I wanted from Chinatown. I was there to buy a Chinese painting to hang in my room (u know those long ones...watercolour on canvas thingies....was inspired by some I saw in Taiwan..dang should've bought them then...only 4 bucks!! anyone know where to get them?). We lugged home a lot of other things though...like a pair of pants from dorothy perkins (yay!), sugarcane juice to keep us from dehydrating while waiting for the taxi to come, and lots n lots of toiletries like soap, shampoo, pads n liners that will probably last me for the next few of months lol....cos Flo said one of the shop there sold things really cheap. Good deal I think..the bill only came up to $43.10. Maybe should start shopping there more often. I've been spending a lot lately...I think shopping's making me happy. Hmm but that's dangerous...my bank balance already looks scary...and I have a scuba diving trip end of this month. Hmmm....shall eat less then..I don't mind sacrificing my food lol :P

No comments: