Friday, February 11, 2011

[BBQ blast]


I can't even remember the last time I had a barbeque in Sg...the last one I remember was one several years ago on the rooftop of Flo's parents' apartment, and that was at least 3 years ago. This was kind of a last minute plan that came out of random suggestions on how to enjoy what's left of the winter.

We started off with a shopping trip on Tues to get equip ourselves with BBQ tools and chicken to be BBQ'd. That in itself was enjoyable because everyone was in a jovial mood. Then came our "marinating party" which didn't consist of us marinating but instead us talking crap and playing dining table tennis. Yes you guessed it right, we were bored (and ingenious) enough to play table tennis on E's dining table. Hehe. We also managed to see the lighter side of S, the latest member of the DH club, who is usually very quiet.

It took awhile getting the fire started up. As with all things here, the charcoal was of weird quality which even when we doused with lots and lots of fire starting liquid, refused to burn. After the guys went of to buy some decent fire startes, us (ingenious again) ladies managed to coax the flames back to life and voila, our BBQ started. The boyz were pretty hardworking, BBQing the chicken for us while we sat on the mats munching on chips and fruits. The chicken was ready round about sunset, and it was a pretty scene to enjoy the food in. Alhamdulillah, the chicken tasted excellent, the beer was thirst quenching, and the company was great. We had ice cream and tea to end the meal and as the night drew, we played some cards to end our lovely day.
It was a different BBQ from what I'm used to, mainly the food that I initially thought was "boring". In Sg we BBQ hot dogs, corn, even prawns and we usually use wings instead of chicken breast and with a variety of marinades. But even then, I was pretty full by the second piece so I'm glad we didn't overeat.

I'm happy to say that grocery shopping hasn't been the highlight of my week for some time now. First was the K trip, then the BBQ, hope things go on like this and I think I'll survive the year, well. My motto used to be "spread out the excitement" i.e. I'd tell hubby not to go to a certain place because we already had fun for that month (since we don't know that many new places to entertain us every weekend). Now I guess we should just go with the flow and see whatever comes up. Afterall we can always return to the same place ourselves or with our friends to relive the same "adventure" with different people. R here I come!

No comments: