Friday, July 11, 2008

[the lil big getaway]

Oh what a relaxing getaway it was. 13 of us trouped to Pulau Besar ("Big Island"), a tiny island 20 mins off Mersing. We dreaded the 6.30am (on a Sunday morning!) assembly at Golden Mile, but I have to say it was well worth it. We had almost the whole island to ourselves, not counting a few ang moh families. The beach was awesome and the resort was simple but service was great (including the yummy food!). D'Coconut Island Resort..so good we're likely to take the super deluxe rooms next time heh. The only disappointment was the no snorkeling cos the weather wasn't good. Rained on our second morning there and the resort said the waters were too choppy to go out to sea. Ah too bad. Luckily we did our mini snorkeling on the first day albeit pathetic. Imagine 13 of us out at sea, or rather just a few metres away from the shore, desperately looking for (live) corals and (many) fish. We were happy with what we saw though, and I'm glad Sakura had her first adventure at snorkelling.

The highlight was definitely the treehouse with hammocks on top. It was like..wow the perfect hideaway. Sakura, Soefie and I discovered it first...so we declared it ours lol. Imagine just lying there, enjoying the brilliant view and breathing in the fresh air amidst the cooling sea breeze. It was definitely calming closing my eyes and listening to the waves crashing to shore. Oh what a perfect escape.

I had my first try at mahjong - I am proud to say I can now recognise Chinese numbers, and I even won a few games (beginner's luck they say...when I won my very first game heh...see grinning winner on the right lol). Of course I had a bit of help lah...from Lyn and whoever else who was coaching beside me hehe. Thanks PE for being my mahjong shi fu! :P

We also had an adventure to the set of Survivor 2 Norway (or some other Scandinavian country). There was an Angkor Wat replica on the island so the local seeing how bored we were without our snorkelling trip brought us to the set (God knows what a Cambodian structure was doing in Malaysia..ah but well..maybe the ang mohs didn't care to differentiate just "another" southeast asian island...hmm). Alas we discovered how we've been fooled on TV, as we realised how the ferns and even moss were plastic and the "rocks" were made of wood and styrofoam (note how "strong" the boys look carrying the "rock"..it's all camera trickery..hahaha). Still it was pretty fun posing as "survivors" and exploring the set. Survivors Singapore!


We were having such a good time it was a pity we had to leave so early. Next time we should check out later, afterall we had to wait 2 hours till our bus arrived at Mersing. How did we kill time? As typical Singaporeans, we were dying for a place to shop...so we ventured to the town nearby and shopped at Giant (only "shopping centre" we could find lol). We were happy anyway, some of us even managed to get some stuff haha. After some chocolate waffles and kaya balls, we headed back to our bus.

Must say it was a very good trip and I got much closer to my colleagues after that weekend. AW's HK friend, cousin and her friends were a fun bunch too and it was no problem getting along with them. In fact we more than got along with the nonsense we yapped abt heh. Looking forward to the next "lab getaway" already. Wee!

Had a trigger happy time with Sakura as my main model lol. Glad she didn't strangle me. Enjoy more Besar pics here!

No comments: