Friday, November 02, 2007

[freakin' annoying taxi driver]

Had about the worst experience with a cab driver so far yesterday. Way worse than being cheated my money for taking weird longer routes. This guy appeared nice at first - asking sweetly which preferred route I have. Ever had one of those cabbies with the sign: "Dear Passenger, please let me know your preferred route and please alert me beforehand if you want to turn or alight at a certain place."? Good I thought; at least no misunderstandings over why he took a longer route, etc. I've even seen a cabby with a footnote "please do not give a $50 dollar note as I may not have change" - fair enough, at least there was a warning.

Throughout the drive, this fella was ramming the engine and cursing at drivers who were either slow, blocking his way, or one thing or another. Well, typical aggressive driver I thought. Then came the horrible part. I reached my destination and took out a $50 note to pay. He turned around immediately and said I just started my shift so I don't have change. Like I was born yesterday - if you've just started your shift all the more you should bring change in case of a big note...ever heard of preparedness?? So I told him nicely that I didn't have change. Then he suddenly gruntled on and on about "I don't care you have to give me small change or else I'll drive you somewhere else to get change". I'm like "hey, I really don't have change", while digging in my bag looking for enough small notes which I didn't have. So he suggested I pay by credit card or NETS but I said I didn't want to cos there's an extra charge. That's when things got worse - he said he'd drive me off to the nearest petrol station, get his money and not bring me back to my destination. Like wtf. He should've told me at pick up that he didn't have change, I would've gladly taken another cab. When I told him that, I got another nagging about how passengers should do the asking, don't take the cab drivers for granted etc etc.

By that time there was a queue forming at the pickup point and the cars behind started honking. He thought by opening his window and flashing the $50 note ppl would understand...I'm glad they continued honking at him. Even the security guard was asking him to move off but he threatened me (with the meter still on) that he'd drive off some other place and leave me there after taking his fare. I called Flo so that she could come pay for me. But in the end I just wanted my money back and to get out of the cab (plus not anger the other vehicles), so I paid by NETS anyway. Idiotic cabbie said "don't worry, I'm not so hardup about the surcharge - afterall it goes to the company not me...u shouldn't be so stingy.." blah blah. So the moment he swiped my card, I got out of the cab adding, "Well, ur aggression is not gonna get u anywhere!" and slammed the door and walked off. He actually said "Thank you". Grrr. When I got out it was so embarrassing cos ppl at the lobby were staring at my cab. I turned around to look at the number plate, muttered the F word under my breathe, got a sympathetic nod from the security guard and stormed into the building. Oh yeah, that reminds me - I should write in to Comfort. And if you happen to flag down SHC 1503 Z, either avoid the idiot, or make sure u have plenty of small notes to pay for ur ride. Gah.

When I was done with my errand and was walking out of the building, the security guard said "bye" with a wide smile. I said bye but was a bit confused why he was so friendly. Maybe he was one of them who saw the incident. Haha. Well, can't remember, was too flustered. Luckily I had Flo to comfort me. Thanks sweetie :P

8 comments:

florenceyang said...

smile my dear, he is one of the million that i know of, the rest of the taxi drivers i took are mostly friendly.

he will get back his shit by other passengers, dont let him ruin ur mood k?

huggies =)

princesssaf said...

u get all the friendly ones..not fair. haha

florenceyang said...

hehe, no lah, im sure there are friendly ones out there too.

if i ever sit this taxi driver i will shoot him.

chat-moyen said...

oh goodness what an ordeal babe!
i had a similar experience, but with a bus driver at midnight. i was searching for coins cos my ezlink was empty (and this was the last bus at midnight) and he told me to get off if i couldn't pay. and refused to drive off (making everyone on board wait for me while i searched for coins) luckily i had enough.

princesssaf said...

gawd these annoying bums ought to be shot.

florenceyang said...

lucky chat moyen didnt pee on the spot, so irritating fellow!

next time just give all the 5 and 1 cents that u have

Anonymous said...

yah i don't understand why they don't have change when they start their shift.. thought that wld be the time when they have lotsa change? the same thing happened to me once and i had to asked a colleague to lend me money coz the guy didn't have change for my $50 note.. shld have just paid with NETS..argh..

florenceyang said...

guess we learn a lesson, if you are going to pay SGD 50 or Nets do make sure you let the drivers know first before we board the taxi to avoid bad rides to our destination.

basic on experiences, most taxi dont like to use NETS as they want hard cash for home expenses and they need to pay their rental every 3 days of about SGD 170.