Tuesday, January 11, 2011

[growing old]

One thing stood out as I watched my parents this trip. They were ageing. Yes everyone ages. But it seemed that it was more obvious that they were getting older.

My dad has developed arthritis in his right knee and has to go for physiotherapy, if not surgery if/when it gets worse. This was one of the reasons I wanted to go back - in case he had to go for surgery I'd be there to look after him. Apart from this, he has cellulitis which seems to be a recurring condition which he inherited from our grandmother. Luckily this time he did not need to be hospitalised, or rather he was stubborn about seeing a doctor so the doctor said "If you can wait one week before seeing a doctor, I guess you can just take antibiotics first without being hospitalised." Nice conclusion.

Both my parents have started to sit down on a chair to pray. My mother who lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago has put it on. And even though she goes walking everyday, she said her joints are becoming less flexible.

As children I guess we've always seen our parents as strong and capable. Especially for my father who rarely used to get sick and was always the more active one in sports or bringing us out here and there. These days when I suggest a taxi ride home he more than relents. Of course the other reason being that I'm the one paying heh.

I guess this is one of the biggest difficulties of living overseas and a guilt that both Mr F and I carry. I hope I can be there when they need me most.

No comments: