Thursday, September 23, 2010

[Umrah Take 2 cont'd]

So we survived that trying trip. As I was saying, this trip was much different from our first Umrah. Our first trip was much much more relaxed. Hubz later said he wanted me to experience my first Umrah in a calm environment so that I would appreciate it better. He'd gone for his first Umrah during Ramadan so it wasn't so enjoyable for him and he didn't want to put me through that. I'm glad he was so considerate, because I definitely enjoyed and appreciated the first one better. Then, even despite my gastritis and what have you, we had time to sit down, pray, reflect, appreciate the grandeur of the two Holy Mosques, and purposefully carry out our worship. This Umrah was much more hurried, and although hubz had his reasons for doing a day trip (because hotels in Makkah cost 10 times more during Ramadan, what more during the last 10 days), I wouldn't recommend it. The gruelling heat also made it very difficult, I'm thankful we went during winter previosuly because we weren't scorched and dehydrated then.

I wasn't very proud of my quickly-finish-it attitude this trip but I guess with the dehydration and exhaustion, I desperately wanted to get it over and done with and go home. I would, sadly, admit that during this trip, I was more of going through the rituals without appreciating each step of it. I hope God will still accept my Umrah.

Another reason for going during Ramadan was so that I could get used to the crowd that we'd see during Haj. I suppose I will be able to manage, as I long as I get to cling on to hubz all along the way hehe.

This trip made me realise the wisdom behind the greatness of doing Umrah during Ramadan. It is said that performing the Umrah at this time is as good as performing a Haj. Our test was made harder by the scorching summer sun, but I guess even without that, going for Umrah while you're fasting is a big test because apart from the rituals, you're tested further with the tiredness, hunger and thirst. It also teaches you to keep a tab on your patience.

Despite all the rough and tough, I'm once again very grateful that we were able to do this Umrah. Did I say this is probably the best thing about being here?? One friend said I was lucky because going to Makkah was as easy as driving from Sg to JB. Very true, though I'd say it's a little more like driving to KL, or maybe Penang heh. Insha Allah we'll be ready for our Haj this year. Better start studying up!

3 comments:

ila nursalida said...

planning for haj eh? how n with whom?

princesssaf said...

read this only after our lil discussion last nite heh...hope we can go together! :)

Unknown said...

Every Muslim wants to perform umrah and visit Makkah again and again for that purpose you can avail cheap umrah packages through very easier process from all over the world at any time.