Saturday, February 16, 2008

[Sometimes you have to live life one letter at a time]

"A young widow discovers that her late husband has left her 10 messages intended to help ease her pain and start a new life."

Yes it sounded like a romantic movie. It was I guess, but somewhere along the movie I couldn't make up my mind whether it was romantic or just heartbreaking and I was crying through almost the whole movie. If I lost my husband 50 years too early, or even when I'm old and shrivelled with 10 grandchildren and ready to say goodbye to the world, the pain would be so great; I don't know if I'd want constant reminders of him through letters he left behind.

I loved the portrayal of the intimate bond the couple shared. One which was so great that even after their arguments they patched up immediately. Reminds me of what my aunt said, never go to sleep without patching up a quarrel first...a useful reminder. The first 10 mins resonated with me because it was similar to a conversation I had with MB. Worrying about our future, whether we'd reach a stagnation in our r'ship with years to come. In fact, he was the one who encouraged me to watch the movie because of the first 20 mins he watched. I'm glad I did, cos now I know I'm not the only one who worries about such issues lol.

It must've been difficult doing what Gerry did - planning out Holly's "recovery" process at the right time with the right support around her. What I loved best was his loving words and his letters that were crafted so perfectly to depict how intimately he knew her. Oh lovely. Those scenes were the good tear jerkers. The not so good tear jerkers were when Gerry planned things that got Holly reminded of their past together and the moments when she was so lonely she'd "feel" Gerry around in her apartment, only (for the audience) to realise he wasn't really there. The former reaffirms my believe that break-ups should be clean - no more contact so that there's no more remnant feelings or at least no temptation to fall back into a relationship that wasn't working out well in the first place. Easier said than done I suppose, especially when you think of the wonderful moments you spent with that special someone.

MB has promised me he won't leave me 50 years too soon. I'll be keeping ur word to it. I wouldn't be able to bear it.

And an important reminder from the movie, tell the one you love how much you feel for him/her before it's too late, literally.

P.S. I Love You

No comments: